Security: How to password protect a folder in Windows 8Written by: Uttam Shrestha - Published: Sunday, January 1st, 2012 - Comments
Security is important. In this tutorial for Windows 8 we are going to add a password to one of our folders.
This tutorial has a lot of images and explains all steps that are required to add passwords to folders using a tool called Secure Folder
Put Password on Windows 8 Folders
1. First of all download a freeware to secure folder in Windows 8. You can download Secure Folder from here. Save it to somewhere. Here i am saving it to my desktop.
2. Double click on it and the installation starts.
3. Next, check ‘I accept the agreement’ and click on the Next button.
4. Then, click Next.
5. Select folder and click Next. If you want to keep default then click on next without choosing folder.
6. Click Next.
7. Next, click on the Install button.
8. Finally click on the Finish button.
9. You may have to enable Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1. Click on the Accept Changes.
10. You might turn windows features on or off. Click on the ‘Connect to Windows Update’.
11. Now the application starts. You will be prompted with a password to set. Click on the OK button.
12. Now the application starts. First you have to set password. Next time onwards you will have to login with the same password you have just here.
13. Click on the Add button to add folders to protect.
14. Next, Select the folder to protect (lock) and click OK.
15. Select the mode you want to use on the folder and click on the Secure button.
16. Finally the folder is locked. That are the complete steps to password protect a folder in Windows 8.
It is always wise to password protect a confidential folder so that others cant access it in your absence.