Windows 8 allows you to add a local, network or the Microsoft XPS printer. The procedure is very simple.
Adding Printer Windows 8
Windows 8 device discovery automatically handles the new devices connected or available on the network. To Add your Printer manually or add the Microsoft XPS printer follow the steps mentioned below;
1. In the Metro Start Menu click on Windows Explorer.
2. In Windows Explorer, click on Network in the left pane.
3. Click on Add a Printer in the Menu Bar to start the printer wizard.
4. In the Add a Printer wizard, click on The printer that I want isn’t listed.
5. Under the heading Find a printer by other options, select Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings and click Next.
6. In the next window, under the heading Choose a printer port select Use an existing port and click Next.
7. The next window displays a list of printer drivers. Select Microsoft from the manufacturer list and Microsoft XPS Document Writer v4 from the printer list and click Next.
8. The next window will ask you to select a driver if it detects a driver already installed. Select Use the driver that is currently installed and click Next.
9. Provide the printer name and click Next.
10. Finally it will ask you to set the printer as default. Click Finish when done.
Microsoft XPS (Xml Paper Specification) is the new standard document format for the web. It is an alternate to the Adobe PDF and Postscript formats.