Networking: How to turn your Windows 8 laptop into a wireless access pointWritten by: - Published: Wednesday, May 30th, 2012 - Comments
If you want to turn your Windows 8 laptop into a wireless access point, follow the tutorial below.
There are several third party software available in the market for making your laptop a wireless hotspot. But you can also do it manually.
Remember it is Hotspot, not the AD-HOC network. Here any other device other than computer, i.e. a mobile with a Wi-Fi can also be connected. In AD-HOC, only the computers with Wi-Fi can be connected. So if you want to turn you laptop to a wireless hotspot, then just follow the instructions given below carefully.
1. Press Windows + R to open the Run window. Now type ncpa.cpl and hit Enter.
2. Now right-click on your wireless network shown there and select Properties option.
3. Navigate to the sharing tab and select Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection
to allow other peoples to connect.
4. You will be prompted with the IP and other details for your network. Click Yes to confirm it.
5. Now open Command Prompt with administrative privilege from Quick Access Menu (Press Windows + X to get that).
6. Here comes the crucial part creating the network. Type netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=”your_ssid” key=”your_password”
in the Command Prompt and press Enter. Replace your_ssid with the ssid you want to give and your_password with the password you want to
keep. Share this password to the users you want to connect in your network.
7. So your network has been created. Now you need to start your newly created network. Type netsh wlan start hostednetwork in
the Command Prompt and hit Enter.
8. Type netsh wlan show hostednetwork to show the newly created network.