How to install custom icons in Windows 8 (Desktop Customization)Written by: - Published: Friday, March 23rd, 2012 - Comments
If you are new to customizing Windows, read our tutorial how to install icons in Microsoft’s latest iteration Windows 8
Sometimes you may want to add new icons created by yourself or found elsewhere in existing windows library.In such a situation this tutorial is really going to be helpful to you. You can easily create new customized .ico files and use them as your custom icons. process.
Just follow these steps properly to install custom icons in Windows 8.
A. Get new icons
You can create your own icons using various drawing editor like paint or Adobe Photoshop etc.
There are also some free sites to create icons online like this.
Create an icon and save it as “.ico”. For example I have created this one:-
B. Use the new icon
Say you want to change the windows explorer icon. Follow these simple steps.
1. Go to Metro UI screen & right click on the “Windows Explorer” icon. As soon as you click you will see “Advanced” option in the bottom right corner.
2. Click on “Advanced” icon & select “Open file location”.
3. After the window has opened right clock on “windows explorer” & click on “Properties”.
4. In the properties window go to “Shortcut” tab. Press “Change Icon”.
5. Now browse drives & select Icon to apply. Select “fav.ico” from Desktop (previously saved) & “open” it.
6. Now, press “ok”.
7. Click “ok” (or “apply” & then “ok”).
8. Close all the opened windows & go back to Metro UI screen. You will see that “windows Explorer” icon has been changed.
Follow these steps again to change another icon.