If you want to get back the classic start menu in Windows 8, refer to the tutorial below.
IMPORTANT: THIS TUTORIAL IS INTENDED FOR WINDOWS 8 DEVELOPER PREVIEW
Microsoft introduces Metro User Interface in Windows 8. The main difference between Metro UI and its
Predecessor is that, it doesn’t have the start menu like before. Rather it brings a new type of start menu with an exciting new look. But still many users prefer the old start menu, where everything can be done in one place, from searching to opening an application. If you also want to use that old start menu in Windows 8, then follow the instructions carefully.
1. Switch to Desktop Mode by pressing Windows + M simultaneously.
2. Press Windows + R to open the Run window. Now type regedit and then press Enter.
3. Now navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Explorer.
4. Right click onRPEnabled and select Modify.
By default this value will be 1. Set this value to 0 to get back the old start menu like in Windows 7.
After modification, press OK to verify and close Regedit.
5. To check whether the change has been made or not, just double click on the Start Menu icon and you will see
that old start menu of Windows 7 in action.