BitLocker is an excellent built-in feature of Windows 8 that lets you lock your hard drives from being misused. This is particularly helpful if you are using a shared system and want to protect your important and sensitive files from being lost or misued by an unauthorized person. This is a free feature and requires no installation of 3rd party apps. Here is how you can encrypt your hard drives using the BitLocker Drive Encryption in Windows 8:
1. Open up Control Panel
2. Click Storage Spaces
3. Click BitLocker Drive Encryption at the bottom left
4. Click Turn on BitLocker next to the drive you want to lock
5. Choose how do you want to unlock this drive. Go for password protection and click Next.
6. Choose how do you want to back up your recovery key? Select Save to a USB flash drive
7. Select the USB drive
8. Your recovery key has been saved on the USB drive
9. Choose how much of your drive to encrypt. Select the first optionto save time or the second option if you want complete encryption. I chose Encrypt used disk space only (faster and best for new PCs and drives)
10. Are you ready to encrypt this drive?
11. The Encryption process has started