Create Shutdown / Restart / Lock Shortcut Icons in Windows 8
If you want to create Shutdown / Restart / Lock shortcut icons on your Windows 8 desktop (that you can also pin to the Metro Start Screen) then read this guide.
If you want to create icons for Shutdown / Restart / Lock the machine, to do them directly by one mouse click, this tutorial is for you. If you do not like the shutdown menu in the metro user interface of Windows 8, then you can create icons for each of them in the desktop. Thus any of these can be done just by a single mouse click. If you want to create these icons, see the instructions below.
1. Switch to Desktop Mode by pressing Windows + M simultaneously.
2. Right-click on the desktop and click on New and then on Shortcut.
3. Now a new shortcut will be shown with a page like icon on the desktop and it will ask you the purpose of creating the shortcut.
Write the following lines for those corresponding purposes.
Shutdown Computer :
Shutdown.exe -s -t 00
Restart Computer :
Shutdown.exe -r -t 00
Hibernate Computer :
Sleep Computer :
rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0
4.Name the Shortcut.
5. Now Right-click on the icon created on the desktop and select properties.
6. Now click on Change Icon .
Now a warning message will be shown. Press Ok to change Icon.
Now a list of options will appear, Select the appropriate icon .
Now click Ok to finalise it.
Now you can see the icon has been changed.
You can also use your own icon. In that case those files have to have “.ico” extension.