It is possible to bring back the Windows 8 Start button and Orb using various tools and tricks
Want to bring back the Start and orb buttons? Here’s a guide
Want that old Windows look in the Windows 8 beta? Well it’s possible to bring the Windows Start button and Start orb can back, and here’s how.
1. Download ViStart, an app which remakes the Windows 7 Start menu
2. When you start and run ViStart, make sure to decline options for toolbars bundled with the app. Assuming you don’t want them, of course
3. Once installation is complete the Start button and orb should be back
We said “should.” Some users have been reporting problems with the orb and Taskbar overlapping, so for those of you who run into issues here’s a lengthier guide on sorting out the problem.
1. First, you’ll need to another blank toolbar. Create a folder, and put it anywhere. Right-click on the Toolbar, then New Toolbar. Find the folder you created and click Select Folder. The folder will be added to your Taskbar, in the bottom right corner
2. Right-click on the Taskbar and uncheck Lock the Taskbar. Now drag and drop the new folder toolbar to the start of the Taskbar.
3. There should now be an empty area between the folder toolbar and the program buttons. Uncheck both the Show Text and Show title options. Move the program buttons near the start orb.
4. Lock the Taskbar, and you should have a Start orb that isn’t overlapping anything.
Bring back classic Start menu
If you don’t want to bring back the Start menu button and Start orb however, then you can bring back the classic Start menu instead. While this guide is for Windows 7, the desktop side of Windows 8 is basically the same in its basic functions.
1. First, right-click on the Taskbar and select Toolbars, New Toolbar
2. It’ll open a dialog box, so paste in %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
3. Next press Enter and click on the Select Folder button. Now Programs is added to the toolbar. Now uncheck Lock the Taskbar
4. Finally drag the Taskbar so the Programs toolbar is next to the Start orb, and you’re done!