If you’re wondering how to properly activate Windows 8, read this guide. We also tell you about frequent activation problems e.g. error code 0xC004F061
Yes, you have to activate your copy of Windows. Only certain developer versions of Windows 8 are pre-activated for a certain time
Activating Regular Copy
If you want to see your activation code follow this. This is how you would normally activate Windows 8
1. First click on Start to open the Metro desktop, then open the Control Panel by clicking on the blue tile
2. If Windows 8 is not currently activated the first option within the Control Panel should allow you to activate it. If you don’t have a connection, you can activate by phone.
3. If the option is NOT there, scroll down within the Control Panel and click on More settings allows you to activate Windows 8
4. Now, it should open the classic Control Panel. Click on System and Security
5. Click on System
6. Now at the bottom click on View Details in Windows Activation
7. If Windows 8 is not activated you will be able to activate Windows 8 there or see the last numbers of your current product key
Keep in mind, you can’t activate Windows 8 on a virtual machine without internet connection.
If you are installing Windows 8 on a real PC, the chances are good that Windows 8 will automatically ask you to activate Windows 8. Let us know if you run into any activation errors. I had some trouble with the slui.exe in Windows 7, so it’s possible the error is still there and the slui.exe is still causing problems in some cases, we’ll see.
Problem: Activations Fails
A popular reason why the activation fails is that you used the key to activate too many machines. Usually a key is only valid for one machine, unless you have a special volume licensing key that allows activation via MAK or KMS
Problem: Error Code 0xC004F061 When Activating Windows 8
If you see error 0xC004F061 when activating your copy, you have a wrong key. The error means that you did not have any other Windows versions on your system and you are not entitled to use an upgrade key – if you are 100% sure you have upgraded from a previous version, contact Microsoft’s support page
Volume Licensing: Activating Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8 Enterprise (KMS/MAK)
Obviously, activating the Enterprise version is a little different if you want to activate multiple machines
- Windows 8 Pro Supports: KMS server/ Active Directory Based activation
- Windows 8 Enterprise Supports: KMS / ADBA / MAK
Technet Subscribers may need a volume license key to activate certain ISO files that can be downloaded from the Technet website. Only the regular Windows 8 ISO can be activated with a regular or Pro key.