Access Denied: How to edit hosts file in Windows 8
In this tutorial we explain how to edit hosts file without the permissions issue e. g. Access Denied
Edit hosts file in Windows 8
The Hosts File in Windows is used to map hostsnames to IP addresses. Hosts file needs administrator privileges for editing. You can follow the steps mentioned below to edit it easily.
1. In the Metro Start Menu, click on the lower left corner. The Start menu pops up. Click on Search.
2. In the Apps Search Box, type notepad. The Notepad icon will appear on left.
3. Right click on the Notepad icon. A tick will appear over it and a bar will pop up from the bottom. Click on Advanced and select Run as Administrator.
4. The Notepad will launch with administrator privileges. Click on File –> Open.
5. Browse to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and select hosts file.
6. You can now edit the hosts file.
If your hosts file gets messed up you can have it repaired by copying and pasting the default file content available here.